Different types of blossoms

Longifolia, clackamus, busle foliage. Bell, wasp type of flowers. Other characteristics.

Different types of blossoms

Postby botan » October 25th, 2012, 2:58 am

By number of petals:

By shape:

Pansy - the upper 2 petals smaller that the lower 3, 2 anthers the other 3 are vestigial
    Rob's Mad Cat, Rob's Humpty Doo, Itchy Stitches

Star - peloric form of pansy, all the petals with the same size and the anther are ~ 5
    Африканская Ночь, Ma's Melody Girl, Ode to Beauty, РС-Жар-Птица, Momma's Backhoe

Bell - syn. Cup the flower petals are merged to at least the 1/3 from the petal hight
    Senk's Big Bells, Honeymoon Trail, Vallarta Campanas Moradas, Ян-Бокал

Trumpet - flowers with corolla longer than the calix, not well developed type
    РС-Мазурка, Chantaspring

Wasp - the perals are curved backwards
    Senk's Vespa Verde, Lyon's Raspberries and Cream, Golden Autumn, Senk's Neverland Dreams, Pink Fly

Spider - the petals are elongated
    Lunar Lily White

By edge:

By color:

Bicolor - flowers with different color/shade on the top and downer petals
    Blue Nymph, Melodie Kimi, Maas` Angelina

Chimera - flower with a stripes with different from the basic one color (or just a shade) in the center of all petals
    Yukako, Little Seagull, Fiery Trail

Fantasy - flowers with different colored zones than the basic color
      puffs - flowers with blurred spots with different color/shade than the background powdered around the petals
      Storm's Eye, Скорпион

streaks - flowers with sharply distinguished from the basic color dots and lines
      Rob's Miriwinni, Tina's April Fantasy, Funambule

Thumbprints - blurred big color patches on every petal, highly sensitive to light and temperature
    РС-Разноперистая Птичка, Rob's Scrumptious, Optimara Cora/Rita/Milennia, РС-Брусничный Сироп

By petal dropping:

Droppers - these are plants which petals fell off when the blossoms fade away
    all species and a lot of vintage varieties, Bubble Gum Charm, Cathy's Fireworks

Stick-tight - are flowers that are "glued" to the stalk, and they stay there even when the petals dried up
    almost all modern varieties
Last edited by botan on November 8th, 2012, 11:57 pm, edited 9 times in total.
botan

Re: Different types of blossoms

Postby botan » October 27th, 2012, 9:51 pm

I think I'm done, thats the basic ones. If someone wants can add more. :)
botan

Postby Laci » October 27th, 2012, 10:42 pm

Botan, thank you very much. It's very useful information. We can present the different types, with pictures too :-)
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Postby botan » October 27th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Well yes, I thought about pictures too, but I think the topic will became quite heavy with so many pictures in one post, thats why I just listed some names for example. If someone is not sure, must feel free to post pictures here and ask. :)
botan

Postby Laci » October 28th, 2012, 10:06 pm

We can make links to our varieties listed here :-) I'll try to create them. So if you click on them it will jump to that variety.
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Postby Valkiria » October 30th, 2012, 2:57 pm

Botan, thanks for the work! Great job!

Golden Autumn has wasp flowers? I thought there are like propellers.
Valkiria
Senior

Postby botan » October 30th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Reasonable question Diana, I was sure that someone will ask. Well hybridization and selection are like evolution but in fast speed. You can see different species (varieties) but you can't group them very correctly, because there is always something intermediate that contain traits of 2, 3 to n groups. That's the case with Golden Autumn. Wasp petals are curved backwards and I think that is the most important trait that distinguished wasp as a different type. In second place comes that the petals are separated or merged very very low and here comes the confusion point. In Golden Autumn's flowers the petals are merged in higher point but the main trait is very well developed, it's petals are strongly curved and thats why I take that higher merger as a variation.
The russians are defining the flower as a wasp too, and the flower of the chimera Lyon's Raspberries and Cream is described as a wasp, and they are quite indentical with the GA's flowers.

By the way what do you mean with "propellers"? conf:

Also I'm sure that someone will ask then why I separate Lunar Lily White's flower in different group instead of taking it as a variation of a wasp. Well LLW's petals ain't curved, they ain't separated or merged low too, and they are visibly and truly elongated which isn't a trait for wasp flowers (they have normal petals but they look that way just because they are curved) I mean you can't say "Yes it is a human, only that walks on 4 feet, have tail and barks." (well when I think of it you can but in very extremal and awkward situation ). :mrgreen:
botan

Postby illustrator » November 6th, 2012, 10:03 pm

There is also some confusion with what "double" flowers are. I have also seen it described as "double number of petals" (so should be =at least 10). Your definition has the advantage of being very clear, but I suppose that some plants are officially having double flowers while thy don't fit completely with the definition.

In adition I have read the term "Crested double flower: where extra petals obscure the stamens by forming a crest-like projection". (this is from an American publication from 1972, I guess that now we would simply call such a plant a "poor double" ...).
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 56

Postby botan » November 7th, 2012, 11:45 am

Can you illustrate what you say because I didn't understand it very clearly. conf:
botan

Postby illustrator » November 7th, 2012, 10:08 pm

Since the publication is still having copyright on, I don't think that I should scan the tiny picture. But think about a pansy with some small extra petals in the middle. I think that the photo here shows what is meant: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=345
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 56

Postby botan » November 7th, 2012, 10:46 pm

Aaa I think I get it. Something like Hibiscus 'Millennium Superstar'. Hm interesting. I don't know of any variety with stable shape like this. confused:
Even though this flower obviously isn't single neither double so it must be semi-double. The thing with the anthers is likely to be used in cases when you have flowers with too many petals and you aren't sure is it double or semi-double.
I should change the description and add one more type, the trumpet type.
botan

Postby botan » November 10th, 2012, 11:50 pm

Image Image
I found some pictures in here of Golden Autumn with lower connection of the petals in proof of my opinion.
botan

Postby Valkiria » November 25th, 2012, 11:30 am

botan wrote:Reasonable question Diana, I was sure that someone will ask. Well hybridization and selection are like evolution but in fast speed. You can see different species (varieties) but you can't group them very correctly, because there is always something intermediate that contain traits of 2, 3 to n groups. That's the case with Golden Autumn. Wasp petals are curved backwards and I think that is the most important trait that distinguished wasp as a different type. In second place comes that the petals are separated or merged very very low and here comes the confusion point. In Golden Autumn's flowers the petals are merged in higher point but the main trait is very well developed, it's petals are strongly curved and thats why I take that higher merger as a variation.
The russians are defining the flower as a wasp too, and the flower of the chimera Lyon's Raspberries and Cream is described as a wasp, and they are quite indentical with the GA's flowers.

By the way what do you mean with "propellers"? conf:

Let me show you what I meant.
I sow written several times that this form of flower reminds a propeller of a helicopter or ship.

Valkiria
Senior

Return to Types of leaves and flowers